B.Sc(Cairo), BA(Cairo), PG-Dip(Cairo), MPhil(Cairo), MSc(Edinburgh), PhD(QUT)
Current Areas of Research Interest
- Application Areas: Civilian air traffic management and land transportation systems.
- Computational Cognition: Computational models for linguistic and psychological processes including modelling Human-Machine Interaction
- Computational Intelligence: Artificial intelligence models (such as Neural networks and evolutionary computations) for optimization and data mining
- Computational Modelling: Intelligent computational environments for risk assessment and data mining.
- Defence Operations Research
- Full Professor of Information Technology (2007-Now), School of Engineering and Information Technology, University of New South Wales, Australia.
- Director of UNSW Centre (2005-2010): Defence and Security Applications Research Centre (DSARC), Australia.
- REC Member (2010): Australian Research Council, Mathematics, Information and Communication, Excellence of Research Australia.
- Expert Sub-committee Member (2008): National Collaborative Research infrastructure strategy (NCRIS) expert sub-committee on Safeguarding Australia.
- Expert Member (2008): Review Panel for DSTO Long Range Research (LRR) program, Australia.
- Member (2007-2009): Computing Research and Education Association of Australasia (CORE) Journal and Conference Ranking Committee, Australia.
- Visiting Professor (2005): Department of General Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, USA.
- John Yu Fellowship (2004): Department of Computer Science, Imperial College London, UK.
- Fellow: Australian Computer Society
- Fellow: Operational Research Society (UK)
- Graduate: Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Associate Fellow: Australian Institute of Management
- Senior Member: IEEE
- Member: Operations Research Society (ORS), UK.
- Chair: Australian Computer Society national committee on complex systems
- Sub-Committee Chair for Conference Liaison: the Australian Computer Society Artificial Intelligence Committee.
- Chair: The IEEE-NN-EC Task Force on Artificial Life and Complex Adaptive Systems.
- A variety of IT and Operations Research Undergraduate and Postgraduate subjects including Strategic Decision Making, Capability Options Analysis, Decision Analysis, Knowledge Based Systems, Data Mining, Soft Computing, Modern Heuristic Techniques, Computational Optimisation, Management Science for Engineering, Artificial Intelligence.